Modern food packaging provides a way to make food safe, reliable, shelf-stable, and clean. Unfortunately, most food packaging is designed to be single-use.
As per the UN Chronicle released on the 19th March 2020, a staggering 91 percent of all plastic is single-use. Since plastic became commonly used almost six decades ago, the rate of mass production has resulted in 8.3 billion metric tonnes of plastic pollution.
Single-use items or disposable items are products and packaging that we throw out after only one use. These items are used for only minutes, but their impact on our environment can last thousands of years.
Because so much food packaging (mostly plastic) has ended up in waterways, the United Nations has declared the plastic pollution of oceans "a planetary crisis," which is a problem not only for humanity but for all aquatic life. There are other environmental impacts from food packaging as well, including to our air and soil.
The way to reduce this impact is to make better choices when buying and consuming food. As consumers, our food choices impact how much packaging we use and, therefore, how much trash and recycling we create. While recycling helps minimize the amount of packaging that makes its way to a landfill, we use up energy and our environment's natural resources to produce these easily-avoidable items.
Some basic choices can eliminate the need for these single-use packaging in the first place.
There are several choices available today, but none meet today's consumer's basic needs. It's about the quality of the product that ensures safe repeated use and that timeless design helps make the transition from single-use to reuse easy and comfortable.
- Lusty's products are innovative and beautifully designed to ensure that each part of it is multifunctional, practical, and ethical.
- Lusty cares deeply about the materials used and feel of their products, making them the ultimate feel-good experience. Using a unique, high-quality material in every component guarantees users the safest and highest quality product.
- Lusty is always entirely Bisphenol S (BPS) and Bisphenol A (BPA) free, and the Tritan used in their products is free of Estrogenic and Androgenic activity.
- Lusty strives to provide consumers with innovative, stylish, and sustainable products that work with their changing lifestyle.
- Lusty products are circular by design. It provides a guaranteed outcome from planned waste minimization efforts.
Lusty's products and SwapCup/SwapContainer programs ensure that no part of the reuse strategy goes to waste.
Lusty will take back the products and upcycle them at the end of life, ensuring they don't end up in landfills and minimizing your carbon footprint.
Their ultimate goal is to "close the loop" to a circular economy, keeping their products out of the trash by turning them into new products.
Lusty's SwapCup/SwapContainer programs
Lusty delivers tailored, reusable cup & container programs for small to large organizations, cafes, facilities & the SwapCup industry, helping them switch from disposable cups & containers to reusable products.
Programs such as this help businesses reach their CSR and sustainability goals.
Being proudly Female-led & Australian made, Lusty chooses to operate and manufacture in Australia to ensure we are sustainable and ethical in our supply chain and operations.
Being a B-Corp certified organisation, Lusty is committed to positively impacting our workers, customers, suppliers, community, and the environment.